Thread: Test drove a 2002 DSG

01 HD #5088
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Test drove a 2002 DSG

Stop by the same dealer I got my 01 HD and test drove an 02 DSG. The truck was in good condition, but there were some things I did not like:

Lots of scratches on passenger side
    Previous owner was a smoker and you could smell it, although the interior was very clean.
    Did not having towing receiver
    Did not have original wheels. Dealer replaced them with aftermarkets because the originals were dinged up. But they did give me the option of swapping my wheels.
    Missing bed extender
    Dealer installed plastic bedliner, but didn't bother to remove bed extender posts or cut a hole in the liner for them.
    Bumper step pads gouged and scratched
    Passenger door handle was damaged by break in attempt and dealer, instead of replacing, just patched over the lock and painted. Basically a shaved lock..lol

Now for the test drive. I loved the sound of the blower, but it really didn't feel that fast. It was completely stock so I know it has potential and yes it was faster than my 01, but it just didn't feel that much faster. Also heard a couple knocks when I turned.

It had 42K miles and they were asking around $24K. I decided it wasn't for me. To many little things that would drive me crazy and of course the extra payments. Guess I'll hold out for an 03 someday. I did love the interior. The automatic climate control, the extended front console, the flame embroidered lids, and a few other eye catchers.
    2001 F150 Harley Davidson

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Re: Test drove a 2002 DSG

Originally posted by Etch
    Stop by the same dealer I got my 01 HD and test drove an 02 DSG. The truck was in good condition, but there were some things I did not like:

Lots of scratches on passenger side
    Previous owner was a smoker and you could smell it, although the interior was very clean.
    Did not having towing receiver
    Did not have original wheels. Dealer replaced them with aftermarkets because the originals were dinged up. But they did give me the option of swapping my wheels.
    Missing bed extender
    Dealer installed plastic bedliner, but didn't bother to remove bed extender posts or cut a hole in the liner for them.
    Bumper step pads gouged and scratched
    Passenger door handle was damaged by break in attempt and dealer, instead of replacing, just patched over the lock and painted. Basically a shaved lock..lol

Now for the test drive. I loved the sound of the blower, but it really didn't feel that fast. It was completely stock so I know it has potential and yes it was faster than my 01, but it just didn't feel that much faster. Also heard a couple knocks when I turned.

It had 42K miles and they were asking around $24K. I decided it wasn't for me. To many little things that would drive me crazy and of course the extra payments. Guess I'll hold out for an 03 someday. I did love the interior. The automatic climate control, the extended front console, the flame embroidered lids, and a few other eye catchers.
    Ok, Reciever is NOT standard.
    Ask for stock replacement of wheels
    Do you really need extender? Are you going to haul stuff?
    Ask for replacement lock.

Offer him $20k WITH new wheels and fixed door lock. The "knocks" can be stopped with "clunk washers". just my 2c
    JLP shortblock, Stage 3 heads and cams, 2.3 Whipple w/3" upper and 4# lower.Ba2800, Accufab, Pacesetter LT's, 60#inj, twin 255's, LFP efan, PI 2600 stall, Detroit Locker Tru-Trac, 58" LFP Tbars, Bilsteins all around, D.M.R. panhard, MT DR's. 564/598 on 15# boost

01 HD #5088
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Re: Re: Test drove a 2002 DSG

Originally posted by fepony
    Ok, Reciever is NOT standard.
    Ask for stock replacement of wheels
    Do you really need extender? Are you going to haul stuff?
    Ask for replacement lock.

Offer him $20k WITH new wheels and fixed door lock. The "knocks" can be stopped with "clunk washers". just my 2c
    I know the receiver is not stock. I had to add mine. Yes I like the bed extender and I'm sure they would have let me put mine in. Yes I haul stuff. I have ranch.. come on. No way in hell they would take $20K. He already told me they were not making much after having to fix the door lock, add in the bedliner, and buy new wheels and tires. Whether or not he was telling the truth, that was an indication they were not going to bargain much. lol I'm sure if they had stock replacement wheels, they would have put them on.

You addressed most of the minor issues.. Scratches all over the side was the big thing!! Look like they side swiped a tree branch.

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    You would be surprised at what they will "take". I'm a pretty good "haggler". I'd offer $19k to start.

I got mine new out the door for $9k below MSRP. I offered $28k and they settled at $30k. Then they offered me $5k for my trade (payoff) and I told them no. I ended up getting $13k for trade. They sold it to a local for $6k.

Gone but never forgotten
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    They wont see 24K in a million years. You could get an 03 for around that price or little higher with fewer miles
    [/SIGPIC]2000 H.D # 3344 Procharged, 12lb Pulley, Mad's Intake, FTVB, 42Lb Inj.

2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged

01 HD #5088
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Which means I won't get crap for my 01 either so even if I do talk them down, they'll just come down on my trade.

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Originally posted by Etch
    Which means I won't get crap for my 01 either so even if I do talk them down, they'll just come down on my trade.
    Sell yours outright. Look on out HD's for sale section. There are some good deals there. Don't get discouraged.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I just ran a book on it and they are probably in it around $19,000
    If you are good at haggling offer him $20,000 +TTL and ill bet he'll take it.

T888 Recall
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Etch, I have both trucks and when you modify the 02, it's like night and day over the 01. My 01 has a few mods but nothing like the 02. A modified 02/03 basically becomes a street beast.

If the paint is questionable in that 02, I'd offer 20k and if they take it. Turn around and paint it 2-tone Black and Gold just like some have done here on NHTOC.

I want to do my 01 like this but the wife likes it as is....

2 cents

-Del

01 HD #5088
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm not discouraged at all. I'm just not going to out and get the first one that comes a long when I find things I don't like about it. I've seen better ones and I really just wanted to see how it drove. ;-)

I actually like my 01, but it would be nice to have a supercharged engine.

01 HD #5088
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Originally posted by Delmustator
    Etch, I have both trucks and when you modify the 02, it's like night and day over the 01. My 01 has a few mods but nothing like the 02. A modified 02/03 basically becomes a street beast.

If the paint is questionable in that 02, I'd offer 20k and if they take it. Turn around and paint it 2-tone Black and Gold just like some have done here on NHTOC.

I want to do my 01 like this but the wife likes it as is....

2 cents

-Del
    Truthfully, I love the 01 paint and stripe scheme. 2nd to the 03 Silver and black two tone.